I made my very first homemade pie!
I had to do something with all those blackberries we picked at the farm.
I did it!... and I must say... it was pretty darn good!
I made 2. One for us & one for our 4th of July picnic.
I had to do a lot of research... Who knew homemade pie making was so daggon fussy?
Here's the recipe:
Pie crust: (x2... 1 for the bottom crust & 1 for the top crust):
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (chilled & chopped)
1/4 cup of ice cold water
1) combine flour, salt & butter in a medium size bowl (use your fingers as less as possible... apparently the heat is not good for the dough... and don't work the dough too much!)
2) meanwhile put water in a small bowl in the freezer. Once small ice crystals start to form in the water then mix it all into the dough 1 tbsp. at a time.
3) once all water is added gently form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate overnight.
4) when you are ready to make pie, roll 1 ball of dough out into an 10 inch round circle.
5) wrap dough around rolling pin & gently place in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan. (wrapping dough around pin helps transfer to pan easily)
5 cups fresh blackberries
3/4 cup of white sugar (separated)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp. of lemon juice
2 tbsp. butter
1 egg (beaten)
1) combine 3 1/2 cups of berries in a medium size bowl w/ 1/2 cup sugar and all of flour. Mix until you no longer see the "white"coating on the berries... it might take a bit of time.
2) brush 1/2 of the egg on the bottom of the pie crust. (this will keep it from getting soggy)
3) spread berry mixture in the bottom of the pie crust.
4) spread the remaining 1 1/2 cup berries on top of sugary berry mixture.
5) sprinkle lemon juice on top of filling & then dollop butter on top
6) roll out 2nd pie crust ball into a 10 inches circle & cover filling.
7) crinkle edges with a fork & cut slits in the middle of the crust OR use pizza cutting to cut strips & form a lattice top crust (I used this video to create a lattice top... it was worth the extra effort.)
8) brush top of the pie crust with remaining egg & sprinkle top with remaining sugar.
9) bake 425 for 15 minutes and then reduce oven temp to 375 for additional 30 minutes.
10) let cool for at least an hour before you cut.
(adapted from this recipe & this recipe.)
I hope you likey likey as much as we did. My husband said it was the best homemade pie he has ever eaten. That's saying a lot... he's from a small mountain town where they know how to throw down in the kitchen.