Thursday, January 15

Gran



We have been out of town for a bit. It hurts my heart to say that my hubby's Granny passed away last Friday.


I'm really sorry that I didn't get to know Granny more. We always visited her when we went home to KY, but short visits on occasional trips don't really give you the opportunity to get to know someone as well as you would like. I may not have known her that well but I do know that she was a very special person. As my hubby said... "She is one of the most unique people you will ever meet". Granny was born in England, which is where she met her husband, who was serving in the US military. She uprooted & left everything behind for her love. They moved to America & settled in Eastern KY. They had 7 children (who were all with her when she went to be with the Lord!) . Unfortunately, her husband passed away leaving granny as a single mom for many years. Imagine the strength & courage it took for Granny to stay in America & raise her family... & what a great family it is. My husband & I separated for about a year back in 2002. There were plenty of reasons for his family to be upset with me... but we reconciled our marriage & his family welcomed me back w/ forgiving hearts. During the year that we were separated was when I gave my heart to Jesus & turned my life around. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that part of that had to do with Granny's prayers. She loved Jesus so much & I know her prayers were heard in Heaven often for our family.


Before we left for KY I felt the need to explain to the middle babe what happens to our bodies when we die. I explained that we are spirits that live in a body & when we die our spirits go to Heaven & we will eventually get a new body. I also explained that our old bodies go into a coffin & get buried. I wanted to make sure she wasn't caught off guard when she saw Gran @ the viewing. As I was explaining all of this I could see the wheels turning. After she pondered what I had just explained for a bit she said "so, you mean like the princess in that movie who died. She was in a coffin & then Prince Charming kissed her & she woke up". I thought about this for a minute & realized that she wasn't off too far... Except her Prince Charming is Jesus & she woke up in another place with no more pain or suffering!


We sure will miss Gran. Thankfully she got to meet the babe before she died. I posted this picture already , but definitely worth posting again....



This was another pic taken at the hospital. That is my mother in law up front...



This picture was taken 5 years ago @ Gran's 80th birthday party. These are all of her children. My mother in law is the one on the top right. I'm pretty sure that the 2 black & white photos on the mantel are of Granny & James, her husband, when they were younger.


4 comments:

  1. i'm really sorry to hear about stephens grandmothers passing...
    our love and prayers to your families...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this sad news. Glad that she was saved and loved her family so much. What a thought (actually way more than a thought..it's reality)that she has awaken to her Prince...Jesus. Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that she passed away! I was in tears reading this post!
    Aren't we glad, though that she is dancing with Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss! May God be with all her family at this time and always!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete