Madison has been cooking simple things like eggs & grilled cheese for awhile.... but recently she has developed a desire to cook more & more. The other night she cooked pizza quesadillas. I never thought something so simple could be so scrumptious. I'm seeing some serious potential in her. Her dad is really passionate about cooking and now that I have the time I've thrown down in the kitchen a time or two. I told her I want her to cook dinner from now on at least once a week. This week she got one of her recipes out of a book called The Children's step-by-step Cook Book ( I would recommend it to all young chefs!)
She made her shopping list last night & we did our weekly grocery shopping today.
Tonight she made parmesan chicken (her own recipe) and cheesy potatoes. She also made homemade cookies. (both from the book)
Madison was in the kitchen cooking, Olivia & Reece were napping and I was outside working in my garden. I think I could get used to this.
Cheese and Potato Bake:
(taken from Children's step-by-step Cook Book)
-1 cup grated sharp cheddar (she had to have white sharp)
-salt & pepper
-2/3 cup heavy cream
-1 1/2 pounds potatoes
-1 large onion (she left this out)
1) preheat oven to 350. Peel & slice potatoes. Put them in a bowl of water.
2) Slice onion. Melt butter in the saucepan over low heat & cook the onion until soft.
3) Grate cheese. Butter baking dish & spread a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom. Spoon some onions on top.
4) Add salt & pepper and sprinkle w/ cheese. Continue layering potatoes, onions, and cheese, finishing w/ potatoes.
5) Beat the eggs into the cream with a fork. Pour it over the potatoes and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
6) Bake the potatoes for about 1 1/2 hours.
These were so yummy! Try 'em out.