Wednesday, August 27

34 week check up

I had my 34 week check-up today. At the last visit my midwife told me that the babe was still breech (bottom down). She said at that point it wasn't a big deal but she would have to flip soon. I think I've been worrying a bit too much about this. I think my worry stems from the fact that my hubby & I have decided that we are going to have a natural birth this go round. I originally made this decision for 2 reasons... #1- I felt like I had no control in my last 2 deliveries (not just felt like it- I didn't) I was hooked to the monitor the entire time. I got to hold them for a brief moment directly after they were born before they were whisked away for tests & cleaning. I realized there had to be a better way. #2- I just wanted to experience it. Women have been having babies naturally for years.

So anyway, since I made this decision I have learned SO much about the benefits of it & how so many women are robbed of the experience of natural birth. If you don't know what your options are you simple go with the flow... Anyway off of that soap box, I'll just say that through my birth class & books I've learned SO much & am so excited about this birth. So I guess that explains the worry over the breech thing. The midwife did an external exam this morning. She felt the 2 lumps & couldn't figure out which was the head & which was the bum. So right now I'm not sure what position she is in. I go back in 2 weeks & if they can't tell they will do an ultrasound. If she is still breech the doctor can perform a procedure called an external version. In other words the doctor will physically try to turn the baby externally with his hands. This just sounds weird to me. There are few complications involved but I really don't like the sound of it. So I am just praying that she will turn on her own. I also found some exercises that will help. As of right now there is only 1 doctor in Richmond who will deliver a baby breech & he does it in the OR just in case of any emergency. I can understand bc there are so many risks in delivering a breech baby. The baby has to be in position by 37 weeks or they schedule a C-section.  I just need to stop worrying & trust that everything will be OK. Really it's not even an issue bc she still have a lot of wiggle room & for all I know she IS in position!. Other than that everything went great at the visit. She will see me again in 2 weeks & then every week til she arrives :) I'm working on my birth plan & should have it ready by the next visit. Good times! 

1 comment:

  1. Girly...Reece will turn when she's ready! God has it all under control. Just give it to him!! Love you and you are gonna do great!

    ReplyDelete